At this time, about 15,000 people lived in Málaga, mostly under Muslim religious orthodoxy with a Jewish minority; the Christian presence was limited to captives working in the shipyards.
The vineyard and fig plantations were the most striking aspect of agriculture in Málaga and the beginnings of the city's historically great wine-making industry. The Port of Málaga was gaining ground as the gateway for the Kingdom of Granada's foreign trade.
The Reconquest (1482-1499)
The Catholic Monarchs obtained victory in the fields of Lopera where they killed or captured most of the governors and leading citizens of the Málaga region.
On 18 August 1487, in one of the war's bloodiest episodes, the city fell into the hands of the Catholic Monarchs, who only allowed twenty families to stay in Málaga, as Mudéjars, within the confines of the Morería or Moorish Quarter.
The Mudéjars of Málaga (1485 -1501)
Muslims under Christian rule were known as "Mudéjars", meaning "tamed, dominated, and allowed to stay" and was the name given to individual Moors or Muslims of Al-Andalus who remained in Iberia after the Christian Reconquista but were not converted to Christianity. They delivered the fortress, returned the captives and committed to continue paying taxes.
After 1487, Málaga underwent major changes in its urban layout. A longitudinal and then a transversal axis were opened, crossing the "square of the four streets," then known as the Plaza Mayor of the city (now Plaza de la Constitución). The most profound transformations took place in the southern half of the city, where the opening of the Calle Nueva allowed Plaza de la Constitución to join Puerta del Mar as it does today.
Málaga Moriscos until their expulsion (1501-1570)
The Church refused to carry out evangelical work with Málaga's Moriscos (Muslims who decided to convert to Christianity rather than leave Spain and Portugal), which, together with feigned conversion, meant Islam could survive clandestinely.