Calle Larios was opened officially to the public on 27 August 1891 and was designed by engineer José María Sancha and later modified by Manuel Rivera.
To build it, the City founded a corporation with capital of one million pesetas –6000 euros in today's money– and the Larios family acquired most of the shares.
The architectural and urban value of this area of the city as a harmonious and consolidated whole is undeniable, especially its buildings that were designed by Eduardo Strachan and Viana-Cárdenas.
From its origins, Calle Larios was open both to vehicle and pedestrian use until its renovation in 2003, when it became a pedestrian precinct.
Besides being a major shopping street, one of the most important in Spain, together with Plaza Constitución, it is an urban space where the city's most important events are held.
- Calle Marqués de Larios