This newly built museum has a large space dedicated to processional thrones. You can see the sacred images in their own chapels, annexed to the church of San Pedro. The ceremonial objects and varied regalia belonging to the Brotherhood are also displayed; the mantle of the Virgin, banners and Guide Cross are especially noteworthy.
The Brotherhood of the Santísimo Cristo de La Expiración and Our Lady María Santísima de los Dolores Coronada were founded in the 18th century, however their golden age in Holy Week began in 1920 when the two Brotherhoods joined to form the present-day united Brotherhood.
The museum, which opened in 1968, is divided into four rooms where you can learn all about one of the leading Brotherhoods of Holy Week in Málaga.
The first room is the chapel of San Pedro itself, in which the processional images of the brotherhood are kept. The image of Christ, the work of Mariano Benlliure made between 1939 and 1940 in polychrome wood is noteworthy. So is the clothed image of Nuestra Señora de los Dolores, also made of polychrome pine by an unknown artist in the 18th century.
The second room, called the Throne Room, contains thrones and processional objects. The processional throne of Cristo de La Expiración was made by Felix Ganda in bronze and silver in 1943. It has reliefs such as the Via Crucis. The throne of the Virgin by Manuel Seco between 1947 and 1950, is made of sterling silver and alpaca.
In the wooden display cases, lined with red velvet are beautiful processional objects. Among these, the large cloak of the Virgin, embroidered in gold thread, deserves special mention. The third room is dedicated to the mementos and objects that the brotherhoods exchange amongst themselves.
Finally, the fourth room, which is called "The Treasure of the Brotherhood" consists of processional dresses, votive offerings by members and the dagger of the Virgin, among many other items. The Crown of the Virgin and the powers of Christ, made by the master Manuel Seco in sterling silver, are two outstanding pieces of jewellery in this collection.
In the 60s the Brotherhood built the house where the museum is based, annexed to the church of San Pedro, which is also part of the exhibition space. It is a cube-shaped building of five floors plus attic designed by architect Enrique Atencio.
- Plaza Enrique Navarro, 1