Málaga's Roman Theatre is one of the remaining symbols of Roman Hispania in the city. In addition to the theatre itself, it has a modern interpretation centre where new technologies present the life and customs of the time. The Theatre has also been returned to its original use and different types of shows take place inside.
Discovered in 1951, it lay half-hidden for many years by the Casa de la Cultura (Culture House) building, built between 1940 to 1942 and renovated in the 1960s. It was during these works when the first signs of the Theatre were discovered and the Casa de Cultura was demolished to uncover and properly assess this theatre, which came to be a part of the cultural programmes of 1992.
Excavations began by uncovering the proescenium, that is, the stage, remnants of the Orchestra, the place reserved for senators and the cavea. These stands have a 31-metre radius and reach a height of 16 metres; there are thirteen raised rows of seats and the entrances passageways, what is referred to as the vomitorium.
Built in the time of Augustus in the 1st century AD, it was in use until the 3rd century. Much of its construction material such as stones, columns and carved stones were later used for building the Alcazaba.
The interpretation centre is decorated on the outside by original fragments of the Lex Flavia Malacitana (municipal code of law, which granted free-born persons the privileges of Roman citizenship), recovered in the excavations.
- Calle Alcazabilla, 8